Wednesday, April 2, 2008

cliff and sharon delforge_4072-Edit web_1
Cliff and Sharon Delforge

The photo on the chair is a photo of Doug Delforge, who died from brain cancer about 6 weeks ago. Both Doug and his father Cliff worked at Rocky Flats... Cliff worked at Rocky Flats for 35 years as a monitor.


Here is an excerpt from a letter Cliff Delforge wrote to Shelby Hallmark, the Department of Labor deputy assistant secretary for the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs.

March 3, 2008

"...I am formally requesting that I be given a written explanation regarding the various aspects of (Doug Delforge's) claim.

First, why is it that it took 5 years for the panel of doctors to accept the claim? The evidence that my son's illness had a direct relationship to the ionizing radiation exposure he received due to the work he performed at Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Production Facility was readily available and had been in existence since the early 1950's. Why?

It is totally inconceivable that the panel of "experts" could not find in 5 years what it took me, a total novice in the area of brain tumors, less than 30 minutes to find the initial information, and 5 hours to find the total body of evidence that I presented to the Department of Labor (DOL) panel. These people had the power of the United States government at their disposal and had to have had access to more sophisticated data bases that the world wide web, which I used. I would like to know exactly which data bases they did use, as I would like to study them myself to determine why there were apparently no references to the relationship between ionizing radiation (I.R.) and meningioma.


I can only think of two reasons why the panel of doctors would be unable to make the connection between I.R. and meningioma.


1. That the doctors on the panel were totally incompetent to make accurate judgements in the area of brain tumors and failed to make any attempt to educate themselves in the matter, in which case their behavior would be shameful.

2. That the doctors were competent to make these judgements and had knowledge of the connection between I.R. and meningioma and simply refused to accept the claim even when they knew it to be valid. If this is the case, then their behavior is, in my opinion, criminal. "


------

It's criminal either way.
It took me less than 2 minutes to look up information that would lead me to primary sources indicating ionizing radiation exposure caused brain tumors. Hello?

Meningioma at e-oncology


Brain Science Foundation


This is common knowledge.


Thanks to Cliff and Sharon for letting me come over during such a difficult time.

No comments: